Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bianca's Birthday Cake

Bianca's Bday Cake

There's nothing quite as delicious and adorable as tiny marshmallow fondant flowers.

Bianca's birthday is tomorrow, but she came over with her kidlet for a cook out today. I will say that constructing a cake made of sugar, sugar, and sugar is not as easy as it looks... in 92 degree heat. I had to retreat to a small room with an AC unit to finish it before it melted.

I took these (about 6 hours worth of hand sculpted marshmallow fondant flowers):

fondant flowers

... and used butter cream icing to adhere them to a two tiered cake—an 8 inch round topped by a 6 inch round. These flowers were left to set overnight, which would have been fine except that the temperature softens them a bit. They didn't flatten, but did have a little give.

side of B's cake

The cake itself is strawberry. And glaringly pink.

strawberry cake, strawberry ice cream

It turns out the heat, while it made some things difficult, softened the flowers to the point that they were quite pleasant to chew. Delicious.

delicious

1 comment:

Sarah Pogue said...

Oh my goodness, this cake is a work of art! Thanks for your comments on my blog =) Now that I know you have a blog, I'll follow it!